Gabbie and Dominic Notes - August 2019

Thu, Aug 1

I arrived at CP and Brad's house at 8:15 a.m. Brad was at work. CP had a dentist appointment this morning. And Rhonda would take Gabbie to speech therapy class this morning.

When I arrived, Gabbie wore a dress that Deb made last summer. The dress looked great on Gabbie, coming down to her knee. The dress was multi-colored, and it wrapped around her body, and it was held shut by ties that Deb included on the dress. Dominic laid on the mat that resided atop the ottoman. This mat contains four prongs that meet in the middle above Dominic. Fun things dangle from the prongs. A mirror exists too. Dominic enjoys spending time looking up and sometimes touching the dangling toys.

Gabbie told me to get a ball. I could not find the crocheted ball. I looked all over. Gabbie pulled out a small soccer ball from the upstairs play area, and we kicked that ball around for a long time. Gabbie enjoyed kicking the soccer ball, and she kicked it well at times. Then she went into her bedroom and came back out with the crocheted ball. I think that the crocheted ball has become a new addition to her nap time and bedtime entourage of things to take to bed.

CP made breakfast for Gabbie. She ate her table and chair that was situation in the living room. It's a drawing table. She ate mainly the yogurt.

CP left a little after 9:00 a.m. Dominic rested on the mat, enjoying himself. I entertained him too while he laid on the mat. Gabbie and I played upstairs.

I changed Dominic's diaper shortly after 9:00 a.m. Then at about 9:30 a.m., he wanted fed. CP placed a bottle in the warmer machine before she left. I sat on the recliner chair and fed Dominic who drank the milk for only five minutes or so, and then he went to sleep on my left shoulder.

Gabbie wormed her way into the same chair, sitting on my left side. She squirmed, bumping Dominic. She patted Dominic's head and back, but Dominic never stirred. He sleeps hard. Hardly anything stirs him.

Rhonda arrived at about 10:00 a.m. Dominic was still asleep. Gabbie was a little reluctant to leave. She tried to get me up out of my chair by reaching her hand behind the right side of my back and trying to push me or pull me out of the chair to go to. When I said no, she cried briefly.

When Rhonda and Gabbie left around 10:15 a.m., Gabbie was fine. She said, "Bye."

Dominic awoke shortly after 10:00 a.m. He drank a little milk, and then he rested some more. Then around 10:15 a.m., Dominic was wide awake, and I held him out in front of me while I sat in the chair, and I let Dominic lounge in my arms, facing me. That's when Dominic likes to smile and make cooing noises.

Dominic only drank about 1/3 of the 9:30 a.m. bottle. I think that the contents are good for 60 minutes. He was not interested in feeding anymore between 10:15 and 10:30.

Around 10:20 or so, I laid him back on the mat with the four prongs. I played with Dominic by using a small stuffed cow that would light up and make noises. Not cow noises but human voice noises. Dominic seemed fascinated with the toy. He laid on the mat for at least 40 minutes while I played with him. Dominic would stay fairly still for a few seconds, and then he would flail his arms and legs for a few seconds, and then he would get still again, and then flail his limbs again.

I assume the flailing meant Dominic was fascinated or excited by whatever we were playing with. He will hold onto a dangling toy when placed into his hands.

Around 11:00 a.m., he got a little fussy, but it meant that he wanted a change of scenery. Sometimes, he likes to be held. I picked him up, and held up against my left shoulder. He looked behind me. I walked around the first floor of the house. He holds his head up well, and sometimes he would lean back and look to his left, across my front.

When I walk around the house, he likes to look at the lights and ceiling fans and really everything.

After walking around for a little while, I changed his diaper, and then I placed him back on the mat. He was fine with lounging on the mat again. We played. He twitched with excitement.

CP came home around 11:10 a.m. She immediately took a shower. Dominic and I played on the mat.

At about 11:30 a.m., Dominic wanted fed again. It's about every two hours that he wants to feed. CP fed Dominic.

Gabbie's speech therapy appointment started at 10:45 a.m. Rhonda and Gabbie arrived back at the house around 11:45 a.m., maybe Noonish. Gabbie and I played upstairs and then we went downstairs and played for a while. We played with the crochet ball and the soccer ball on the steps and in the basement. Gabbie likes to roll the balls down the wide railing, along the steps that lead from the front door to the upstairs, main floor area.

In the basement, Gabbie had me dig out an old toy that she played with back in the first half of 2017. Today, she enjoyed pressing the buttons and everything else attached to the toy, which is the upside down triangle walker thingy.

In the basement, Gabbie enjoyed stacking Lego-like bricks.

When upstairs earlier, Gabbie banged on her toy piano, and when she finished her recital, she would hold her arms straight up into the air with flair.

I made Gabbie lunch around 12:40 p.m., which included frozen chicken nugget or chunk-like things, warmed in the microwave, turkey lunch meat, cheese stick, strawberries, and applesauce. Gabbie ate well, except she did not eat all of her strawberries. She must not like strawberries as well as other fruits. Gabbie ate at her table and chair, located in the living room.

Gabbie went to bed for nap at around 1:10 a.m. She was a little reluctant at first, but she did not protest much. She went voluntarily, and she fell asleep quickly.

I left the house at 3:10 p.m. Gabbie was still asleep. Dominic was asleep on CP who was also asleep.


Sat, Aug 3

Deb and I arrived at CP and Brad's house around 11:15 a.m. On the way up, we visited Glass City Roasters for java and a pastry. I ordered a double espresso. Deb ordered an iced coffee or something like that. We both ordered a square-ish, firm pastry that has a French-sounding name, but it's popular in New Orleans. ??? Anyway, it was delicious. We ordered the ones with lemon filling.

CP was at work, and Brad needed to leave for a while to help Andy with his move.

We started by playing in the upstairs play area. I sat on one of the small chairs at Gabbie's tea table.

Gabbie gave brief piano recitals. She likes to bang on the keys of her small piano and then raise her arms in touchdown fashion like she wants applause. Funny.

We kicked the small soccer ball upstairs. Gabbie likes to play ball with me when I arrive, which is cool. We went downstairs and we played ball on the steps to downstairs. I should probably kibosh our playing on the steps, since one or both of us could get seriously injured. Gabbie enjoys rolling balls down the wide, flat railing along the steps. She got the idea from me when I first did that back in June or July. Oops.

Gabbie is a sponge. She observes and remembers even when it appears that she is not paying attention.

We played downstairs for a while before lunch. Gabbie ate some of her lunch around 12:40 p.m.

She reluctantly laid down for a nap at about 1:30 p.m. I spent time playing with Dominic as he laid on the mat. I also gave Dominic a bottle. Deb spent a lot of time with Dominic, since she does not get to see the kids as often as I do.

Gabbie awoke around 3:00 p.m. I spent the rest of the afternoon playing with Gabbie upstairs and downstairs. In the basement, we played with Barbie dolls. Gabbie seems more interested in the furniture, such as tables, chairs, etc. than the dolls. We set up a lot of Barbie doll-related furniture on the floor. Gabbie enjoyed placing a Moana doll on a Barbie doll slide.

Gabbie keeps pulling out old toys from the downstairs office. She plays with these toys that she used two years ago.

We played a lot more ball upstairs, downstairs, and on the steps. She's getting pretty good at kicking the small soccer ball. And she's improved her throwing skills this year too. And she is catching a ball a lot better now too. We need to show her a soccer match and maybe take her to a high school football game this fall. Any sports that involve a ball will probably interest Gabbie.

Gabbie ate dinner by sitting at her small drawing table in the living room. I sat behind her on the couch eating my dinner, which Deb picked up from the little store nearby that offers Mediterranean food. I ate a falafel sandwich.

Earlier in the day, I dialed up Bounce Patrol videos to show Deb how Gabbie interacts with the videos by singing, dancing, making arm motions, and reciting words and sounds.

Gabbie still speaks mainly in one-word sentences, but she says more words each week or month. She started saying, "Here you go" last fall or back in the winter because, I assume, I have said that phrase to her so much in the past, especially in the first half of 2018 when Gabbie and I played with the big pile of head bands or hair thingys in her bedroom.

But for Gabbie, "Here you go" could be a three syllable word. Gabbie says "elephant."

Gabbie went to bed after 7:00 p.m., but she was still awake when Deb and I left a good while later. For a long while, Gabbie stood in room, looking out the window.

Dominic enjoyed "standing" in a doughnut thingy. Earlier when I held him in my lap while seated, I held Dominic so that he could face me, and I let him support himself with his legs. I held his body, but he helped himself by standing too. He's growing fast and getting stronger quickly.

Dominic twitched and flailed a lot with excitement when he laid on the mat and I held the stuff, toy zebra that lights up in the chest area and makes noises.

Dominic likes to be held over my shoulder and walked around the house. He looks around. He likes lights and moving ceiling fans.

Deb and I were both a little tired when we arrived home. In the afternoon while playing with the Barbie stuff in the basement, I sat on the floor for a long time. When I sit for a long time on the floor, eventually, I need to stretch my legs more by either standing or lying down. I stretched out on the basement couch, since Gabbie was playing by herself. When Gabbie saw me on the couch, she came over and pulled the blanket down over me, and she said, "Night, night."


Tue, Aug 6

I arrived around 6:30 p.m. CP was sick, possibly related to food poisoning obtained at a fast food restaurant, since Rhonda was ill too.

Jay visited.

Wed, Aug 7

11:30 a.m. to 9:30 p.m.

Gabbie grabbed my chin to make me look at her instead of at Dominic.

Dominic slept on my for about 90 minutes while I sat in the chair in the upstairs play area.

Thu, Aug 8

10:30 a.m. to 8:15 p.m.

Deb visited around 6:30 p.m.

This week, Gabbie started exhibiting high pitched, playful squeals and laughs.

This week, Dominic started exhibiting loud "talking" in his way. Loud enough that I could hear him in the basement. He played excitedly, flailing his arms and legs, smiling, laughing, and making numerous joyous noises. Again, some of his playful noises were surprisingly loud this week.

Sat, Aug 10

Erie Orchards to pick peaches.

Lunch in downtown Erie at the Erie Restaurant and Bar.

Blissfield = Spinning Moon Farm

Dinner at bar in downtown Blissfield.

Played at the park until a little after 8:00 p.m.

Tue, Aug 13

CP texted after 10:00 a.m., wondering if I could come up and hang out. Apparently, Gabbie acted a bit feisty in the morning. CP put Gabbie into three timeouts. Gabbie threw a plate at Dominic and at Catherine.

I decided to head up. I arrived at 11:45 a.m. I entered through the front door. Gabbie greeted me with a big smile and hoots and hollers, behind the gate at the top of the steps. She likes to say loudly, something like "Whew!" We shook hands. Handshaking has been a standard greeting for a while now. Gabbie still likes to do high-fives and low-fives occasionally.

She pointed to my shoes and said "shoes" indicating that I needed to take off my Keen's sandals.

We started by playing in the living room with the magnetic building shapes.

But soon after I arrived, Gabbie said, "Ball!" and pointed toward the play area or toward the downstairs steps, which was her way of telling me to get the ball or balls. I sat on the floor. Gabbie pushed me on the top of my back, trying to get me to get up and go find the balls.

Gabbie took off to the upstairs play area and found a different kind of ball that was prickly. I think that it was some kind of massage ball. I found the small soccer ball and the crocheted ball.

The ball playing commenced upstairs, kicking and throwing the balls. Then we moved to the steps, rolling the balls down the railing. But this ended quickly.

Gabbie wanted to play in her bedroom. We got into the teepee. Gabbie went to the living room to gather her bedtime possessions: blanket, two elephant lovies, and two baby dolls. She put all of those items into the teepee. I like the teepee. It's tall and roomy. I can hold Gabbie, her toys, and two adults. Sometimes, Daisy likes to crowd into the teepee too.

At 12:06 p.m., we moved to the upstairs play area. I sat at the small tea table, sitting in a small chair. Gabbie made numerous trips from her kitchen setup to the table, bringing me toy kitchen tools and toy food. We have been pretending to drink tea and eat food at the table for many months. Gabbie enjoys her kitchen setup that she received last year. But this ended quickly too.

By 12:08 p.m., Gabbie began packing up the toy food and kitchen tools, placing the items into a blue plastic bin. Gabbie said, "All gone."

We moved back to her bedroom. We brought the blue plastic bin of toy food. We sat on her bedroom floor at 12:09 p.m., and we played with the toy kitchen tools, plates, and food as we sat on the floor.

Gabbie liked to say, "Hot" and "Eww" and "Oww."

For banana, Gabbie shortened the word to "neenuh," sounding similar to what Gabbie calls Deb.

12:21 p.m. - we placed the toy food and items back into the bin. We were done dining on the bedroom floor.

At 12:23 p.m., we were back in the play area. Gabbie wanted the overhead light turned on. I turned it on for her. She likes to order me around. She will probably be in management some day.

When I turned the overhead light on for the play area, Gabbie hooted and hollered again. She said something like "Whoo!" Funny. She gets excited over the small things. Of course, I make a big deal about every little thing.

Catherine mentioned eating lunch to Gabbie multiple times, and every time, Gabbie responded with an emphatic "No!" She wanted to keep playing.

Gabbie says the word "No" well, sometimes with dramatic arm and head movements for emphasis.

We spent time assembling plastic toy train track. Very small loop. Gabbie played with the train engine for a good while. For some reason, she liked to pick up the train when it started moving and she would turn the engine over and study the wheels. I kept trying to convince her to let the train run for a bit, but as soon as it started to move an inch, Gabbie snatched the engine up and turned it over and studied the wheels.

Maybe she will be an engineer.

At 12:37 p.m., Gabbie started eating lunch, seated at the small table in the play area. She ate mac and cheese shells, snap peas or beans or something green and flat and firm, and blackberries.

At 12:49 p.m., Gabbie finished eating lunch. She ate with flair, throwing her head back often after taking a bit. Sometimes, she made the airplane noises as she brought food to her mouth. "Ahhhh."

At 12:50 p.m., we were back in Gabbie's bedroom. She found her small, bright, LED flashlight. When she turned it on, she said, "Wow! Wow!!"

Then we moved back to the play area. Book time. Gabbie enjoyed viewing the photos in a book called Ohio Critters, which showed common creatures found in Ohio, such as a Northern Cardinal, Painted Turtle, etc.

We played more with the train track. We made it an oval, and Gabbie let the train run around the small oval track.

1:11 p.m. - Gabbie donned large sunglasses. Hilarious. She wrapped her blanket around her. Double hilarious. She wanted to go downstairs. She ordered me to bring the balls downstairs.

Gabbie unraveled the small floor bed, and she laid on the bed, covered under her blanket. She gathered a bunch of toys around her. She might have been a bit tired. We played a game where I pretended that she was pretending to be sleeping, and I would wake her up. She giggled.

Gabbie laid down for a nap at 1:40 p.m. with only minor protesting. While I sat in the living room, I could hear Gabbie through the door and over the monitor sing and chat before falling asleep around 1:50 p.m.

CP and I watched Letterkenny on Hulu. Episode 1 for Season 2 is a riot. But a lot of them are riots.

Around 3:00 p.m., I took Dominic from CP, and I held Dominic while seated, and I walked around with him, and I laid him down on the mat and played with him. He likes to smile a lot. He gets excited when playing on the mat.

Gabbie awoke at 3:35 p.m. I held Dominic. I entered Gabbie's room with Dominic in my arms. We sat on the floor of Gabbie's bedroom. Dominic watched Gabbie. Then we all moved to the teepee, which was not easy for me, since I held Dominic. I scooted across the floor and into the teepee.

Dominic was quiet and wide-eyed when we sat in the teepee with Gabbie. Dominic enjoys watching his big sister.

After a while, CP came in, and I handed Dominic to Catherine. Gabbie and I left the bedroom. We sat on the couch for snack time, and we played with the magnetic shaped blocks while on the couch.

At 4:05 p.m., we were in the upstairs play area. Gabbie looked at the Ohio Critters book again.

At 4:08 p.m., we were in Gabbie's bedroom. Gabbie played with the flashlight. Then at 4:15 p.m., we moved downstairs.

While downstairs, Gabbie quietly played with her toys on the floor while I kicked the crocheted ball repeatedly like a field goal kicker, soccer style. I wore my right knee out a bit. Too much sidewinder kicking. But it was fun. Gabbie kept playing by herself while I kicked the ball over her and against the west wall.

We were back upstairs at 5:00 p.m. I played with Dominic as he laid on the mat. Gabbie played with Dominic too.

Gabbie ate some dinner, and I left at 5:30 p.m. to pick up our CSA produce from a drop-off point in Sylvania.


Fri, Aug 16

Polar bears
Museum of Natural History